Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I had a dream. I dreamed it for you, June...

September 8, 2010.  Last week, I took a vacation from work, my first break away from the office in a year and half.  I was at a point in time that I had to start using or losing my accrued vacation, and since a trip to Europe wasn't in the cards--I planned a stay-cation with this itinerary:  9 Broadway/off-Broadway shows in 7 days.


I live in the heart of Manhattan with my boyfriend in an apartment that's a 10-minute walk to Times Square.  The theatre district is our backdoor, and I heart theatre, so a 9-show week was truly a dream getaway for me.


Unplugged, de-blackberry-ied, wifi-free, and laptop-less--from all things work related   I filled the week with a hodgepodge of musicals, comedies, dramas--and kept my friends and boyfriend posted about my whereabouts via facebook, twitter, and text-messaging.


Somewhere around the 6th show of the week (Freud's Last Session) while the characters onstage (Freud and C.S. Lewis) debated the existence of God--summoning the words of a brilliantly constructed script--the notion occurred to me that I didn't want this intense theatre adventure to end at the end of a week.  When I exited after the show, the usher handed me a "I just had a session with Freud" button which I tucked in my back pocket, along with this idea:  Would it be possible for me to devote an entire year to see 365 shows in New York City?


I've been sitting on this idea for a few days--post-return to work from vacation.  The new Broadway and off-Broadway season line-ups, alone, are making me shiver with anticipation.  I've checked in with my peeps--Rachel and Debbie--to get their advice.   I've talked with my boyfriend, Farris, about how I could feasibly accomplish the goal.  And, now I'm diving into this theatre challenge.  


This blog entry shares the ground rules (for myself and for whoever you may be reading this) about what lies ahead:


1.  365 shows in 365 days.
2.  Any theatrical event counts, as long as it takes place in New York City, e.g. Broadway, off-Broadway, off off-Broadway, fringe, staged readings, theater festivals, etc.).
3.  I'll need to see an average of 7 shows a week, and www.bigappleshows.blogspot.com will be my confession booth.
4.  I have until September 7, 2011 to finish the 365, and......tonight begins my first:  American Idiot on Broadway.


Sometimes, there's God so quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Johnny! I hope to accompany you on one or more of these 365 shows.

    -Your Peep, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. John.. good luck with your venture.. theatre/show going can be addictive .. look forward to reading your exploits! mark.x

    ReplyDelete