Thursday, September 9, 2010

Show #1 - American Idiot

I am a whore for gadgets.  So, I'm in tech heaven with www.foursquare.com that let's me use my Blackberry to "check in" to the various places I'm visiting around the city and simultaneously 'shout out' to my peeps on twitter.  Waste not, want not.  


Yesterday, I foursquare checked into HK for martinis with Farris pre-theater and tweeted that "American Idiot" in T minus 40 minutes was my first show of 365 over the next 12 months.


Thanks to Erica in NYC for spreading the word to her fans on twitter:  "@ezmac99 Follow along with @bigappleshows as he attempts to 365 shows in 365 days."  Erica works at TKTS, so get your butts over to the booth and see some shows!


As for my tale, 2 martinis each and 40 minutes later, Farris and I were in our seats for the start of American Idiot.  90 minutes later--without an intermission--we were 2 more cocktails into drinking (thanks to the sippy cups from the bar that we took to our seats).  Now, here's a 140 character or less review that Farris put on his facebook page: "Green Day is the most racist, homophobic, and inarticulate Broadway cross over...ever. Piss poor adaptation...they should take some tips from Dolly."


Indeed, American Idiot is an unusual show.  It's a punk rock concert, sung and performed by a broadway cast.  There is no real book, or storyline, and I'd have to consult my playbill to find out if the characters in the show actually have names -- because no one talks to anyone in American Idiot in any significant way.


That said, visually the show is stunning and sounds amazing -- the set is cool, the actors are hot and often in various degrees of undress -- and there's a spectacular flying scene a la American Idiot du Soleil.  Without question, the show is attracting people to Broadway who probably have never been to the theatre and are here via Green Day's lure.  Boo ya!


Look what god hath wrought.  I've been lured into seeing the show too, and with this idiot under my belt, I only have 364 more shows to see in the next 364 days.

2 comments:

  1. No book? No storyline? Not following the characters? You are now required to turn in your Gen X card!

    The show is quintessential Gen X material. The overly tragic, self-indulgence captures our generation's struggle during youth to a tee. In my opinion, the show purposely lacks in depth character development because the characters are intended to represent the archetypes of our generation.

    I am thinking the martinis may have had an influence here.

    Can't wait for the next review...I rarely get to debate theatre anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, John --

    This might help you (financially) on your quest:

    http://www.20at20.com/

    It's 20 shows at $20 each.

    -d

    ReplyDelete