Saturday, September 11, 2010

Show #3: Brief Encounter


Let's face it show-peeps...I'm seeing 365 shows in 365 days.  I don't have time to write reviews for you bitches every day.  I'm probably already late for the theater, right now!

As for my experience of seeing "Brief Encounter" on Broadway last night at Studio 54.... let me tell you about a little old lady named Jean who was sitting next to me.  Jean was 90 years old if a day -- and probably thought this was 1945 and she was at the movies to see the original Noel Coward film on which this stage show is based.  I asked her if she had traveled far, and she said "No I live in the West 50s"... I pressed her for more details only to discover that Jean saw almost every Broadway show last season, and was here for the start-up of the new year!!

This was too much for me to handle without a martini, but I asked about the pink elephant in the room anyway:  "Did you see anywhere near 365 shows in New York City last season?"  "Oh heavens no!" she replied, "That would be foolish!"  Thanks, Jean!

As for all you show-peeps...you must see this show!  In fact, what are you doing right now?  Can I come?  Go get tickets for "Brief Encounter" here!

"Brief Encounter" was one of the most magical and moving experiences I've ever had at the theater.  This unique show blends together theater, on-screen projections, puppetry, live music and amazing performances that are breathtakingly beautiful.   Jean liked it too.

1 comment:

  1. John.. glad you enjoyed the show. . I love all Noel Coward's work.. Seen this show in London..Look forward to following you daily.. glad you are getting some time to yourself! drop us a line would love to hear from you.. all good wishes from Dublin.. mark.x

    ReplyDelete